knowledge-zone » PTE Academic » PTE Academic : A Complete Overview of the English Language Test
PTE Academic or Pearson Test of English is an unbiased English Language test trusted
by universities and institutions around the world. PTE Academic is basically used for studying
abroad and immigration purposes.
The main purpose of the PTE Test is to measure the reading accurately, speaking, listening, and writing skills of the candidate.
In today’s blog, we will discuss the structure of the exam and how you can score better :
Structure of PTE Academic Test
PTE Academic Test consists of four section/ modules:
The Test duration is approximately 3 hours, which includes an introduction and an optional break of 10 minutes.
Each section is restricted with timings. The test includes 20 different task types assessing the combination of language skills.
Sectional Details of PTE Academic Test
PTE Speaking tests your response orally using Correct intonation, Speech, stress, and pronunciation. It also measures the degree of understandability to the most regular English language Speaker.
PTE speaking consists of five task types, namely:
- Read Aloud
- Repeat Sentence
- Describe Image
- Re-tell Lecture
- Answer short Questions
PTE Writing section requires you to perform writing responses in standard English language. It checks your grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. The total time to complete the writing section varies from 40 to 60 minutes, depending upon your questions.
- For two summaries and one essay, you will get forty minutes.
- If you get three summaries and one essay, you will get fifty minutes.
- You will get sixty minutes for two summaries and two essays.
Writing section comprises of two task types, namely:
- Summarize Written text
- Write an Essay
PTE Reading section tests your reading and understanding ability. You will be given an authentic text from an academic source. In total, there are 5 items you have to complete within 32 to 41 minutes. The texts in the test include natural Sciences, humanities, and social sciences.
Reading section comprises of two task types, namely:
- Reading & writing – Fill in the blanks.
- Multiple choice questions, choose multiple answers.
- Fill in the blanks.
- Multiple choice questions, choose single answers.
- Rearranging the paragraphs.
PTE Listening Tests check candidate’s understandability levels of an authentic academic lecture, dialogue, or presentation. It is basically in both audio or video format. The total time needed to complete the test is approx. 45 to 47 minutes depending upon the question and its type.
Listening section comprises of eight task types, namely:
- Write from Dictation
- Multiple-choice, choose multiple answers.
- Select missing word
- Multiple-choice, Choose Single Answer
- Fill in the Blanks
- Highlight Correct Summary
- Highlight Incorrect words
- Summarize Spoken Text
With that being said, let’s talk about the strategies that you can use to clear the PTE Exam.
Strategies for PTE Academic Speaking
- Work on your oral fluency, and pronunciation
Improve your reading skills and make sure it is audible enough. Always maintain fluency to score high, and don’t forget to deliver the best pronunciation skills.
- Memorize sentences and repeat exactly what you hear.
It is important that you work on your memorizing skills to repeat the exact sentences you hear. The sentences must be spoken using correct pronunciation. Never rush to complete the sentence.
- Describe Image by highlighting the main points.
Always keep your focus on the given image and capture all the points. Organize the whole image into parts and focus on the main keywords. You must maintain your fluency and pronunciation.
- Prepare well to Re-tell a lecture in a presentable way.
Be attentive and listen to the lecture carefully and present the complete information in a better-organized way. The lecture may include images too. Always maintain a proper oral fluency with the correct pronunciation.
- Listen to the questions and submit short, accurate answers
Listen and understand the questions carefully and deliver the best accurate answer. Don’t provide a great ambiguous solution instead opt for a short one.
Strategies for PTE Writing
- Make a proper Plan – The purpose of writing must be clear. First, note down what you want to cover and include all the ideas you want to add without skipping any of them.
- Drafting your Text – Make a writing plan in a draft form. Try writing quickly by expressing your ideas in the best possible way. Don’t waste much time in constructing each and every single sentence.
- Recheck – Reviewing your answer is the most important part of writing. Judge your writing from a Reader’s perception and mark points which are not appropriate or ambiguous. Make change simultaneously and recheck. Make all grammatical, spelling, and pronunciation correction if needed.
- Finalize the Article – Before finalizing the article reconsider checking properly, mainly the synonyms, antonyms & grammar.
Strategies for Reading
- Always read to grab information – Skim through the passage to identify the idea Focus on the table of contents. These provide a deep clue about the content and its structure.
- Always prefer answering the comprehensive questions – Reading the questions will give you an idea of what to find in the text. Some questions are specifically for info, identification of the gist, point of view, or attitude. Some questions are related to your understanding.
Strategies for PTE Listening
- Always be attentive enough to guess – Try guessing the meaning of unknown words just by the context clues. It offers a great idea about the topic without understanding every single word you hear.
- Beware of the Negative Marking: You might be not aware but few of the task types of the Listening section holds negative marking. Task types such as Multiple choice; choose multiple answers and highlight incorrect words restrict the test takers from selecting an option which they are not sure of. The test-takers are always advised not to select too many options until they are sure enough.
We can help you clear PTE Academic in the First Attempt.
At ptemocktest.com, we have developed strategies and preparation material that can help you score in the exam in first attempt. Our mock tests and coaching can help you accelerate your PTE preparation and get you your desired marks in no time.
PTE Mock Test: Our PTE Mock Tests or PTE Practice Tests come with an AI-based scorecard and feedback for each task type that can help you understand your mistakes as well as show you the methods through which you can improve yourself.
Online PTE Coaching: With a personalized one to one class program, we try to bring the best of strategies, practice materials, and coaches for your preparation which in turn can help you clear the exam in the first attempt.
The above-mentioned PTE Academic test structure will help you get the desired score in the exam. Just keep yourself focused and be strict enough to implement proper practice and strategies for comfortable learning.
No one wants to reattempt the same exam again and again. So, we suggest you plan accordingly and make changes when needed. Try blending yourself with the exam structure and patterns.